Impacts of Climate Change on the Swiss Economy
The impacts of global climate change may significantly damage the global economy. The 2006 Stern Review estimates that global GNP (gross national product) will be reduced by 5% as a consequence of climate change, while the costs for stabilizing greenhouse gas emissions would only amount to 1% of global GNP.
Climate change can impact on national economies through a variety of causal effects. On the one hand, direct climate change impacts will be felt in Switzerland, for instance with regard to tourism, agriculture, forestry, and water management. However, national economies will also be influenced by changes in the global trade and financial markets caused by climate change impacts. For the Swiss economy, which is relatively small and embedded in a large network of international trade relations, these changes can be of great significance.
INFRAS and Ecologic, together with Rütter + Partner, have carried out a research project on behalf of the Swiss Federal Office for the Environment in order to assess the impacts of global climate change on the Swiss economy mediated through international trade relations and financial markets. To this end, an effort was made to identify the most important international channels through which climate change impacts in different world regions impact on the Swiss economy. Their relative importance was estimated, and impacts were assessed and, where possible, quantified. The methodology and project design for the study were developed in a preceding scoping study by INFRAS, Ecologic and the Potsdam-Institute for Climate Impact Research.
The final report [pdf, 1.8 MB, German] is available for download.
- Report of the Swiss Department for Environment, Transport, Energy and Communication on future Swiss climate policy (August 2007)
- Project report: Impacts of Climate Change on the Swiss Economy (national impacts)
- Project report: Intergenerational justice – the implications of future climate impacts for today’s climate policy
- Information on the project “Switzerland 2050” from the Advisory Body on Climate Change (OcCC) (in German)
- Information on the Swiss National Research Program “Climate Change and Natural Catastrophes” (NFP 31) (in German)
- General Information from the Swiss Federal Environment Ministry on the consequences of climate change in Switzerland (in German)
- Ecologic Project: Costs of Climate Change
Keywords: climate, change, economic, impact, analysis, valuation, assessment, scenarios, prediction, glaciers, tourism, agriculture, economics, adaptation, Switzerland
Sponsor: Swiss Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN)
Partners: INFRAS, Rütter und Partner
Team: R. Andreas Kraemer, Stefanie Lange, Timo Kaphengst, Anna Leipprand, Helen Lückge, Benjamin Görlach
Duration: 01.05.2006 until 31.07.2007
Project number: 201-19, 201-46
Last update: 12.09.07