The EU Green Deal and the Farm to Fork Strategy – Presentation at the ESDN Conference
On 12 and 13 October the 2020 European Sustainable Development Network (ESDN) Annual Conference took place. Together with prominent speakers like Angela Merkel and Achim Steiner participants discussed the transformative potential of the EU Green Deal. Stephanie Wunder, Senior Fellow at the Ecologic Institute presented what steps are needed next to implement the Green Deals’ Farm to Fork Strategy. The presentation is available for download.
The thematic session "Sustainable Food: The Farm to Fork Strategy" included four panelists:
- Gijs Schilthuis, Head of Unit European Commission, Directorate-General for Agriculture and Rural Development, Belgium
- Pierre-Marie Aubert, Senior Research Fellow and Lead European Agriculture Initiative, IDDRI, France
- Lieta Goethijn, City of Ghent, Belgium
- Stephanie Wunder, Senior Fellow and Coordinator Food Systems, Ecologic Institute, Germany
Stephanie Wunder’s presentation "Sustainable Food: Farm to Fork Strategy What needs to come next?" mainly centered around three issues:
- The role of the Common Agricultural Policy as central tool to implement the Farm to Fork Strategy,
- the need for a transparent multi-stakeholder engagement including regional and civil society actors and
- the importance of a dietary shift
The Annual Conference of the European Sustainable Development Network (ESDN) "The European Green Deal: Our Pact for the Future" was organized in cooperation with the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety.