Green Events – Sustainability at Ecologic Institute
Ecologic Institute stands for environmental protection and sustainability. We implement this in our events and organize them as green as possible!
- Print: Invitations, programs and other materials are circulated electronically. Participants can only register online. Further, we exclusively use recycled FSC-certified paper.
- Travel: We seek to organize the travel of our staff, speakers and participants as ecologically as possible (favouring train trips instead of flights, providing information about and fostering the use of public transport, using and suggesting environmentally friendly cabs). Participants of our Berlin-events can travel with the "Deutsche-Bahn-Eventticket" of the Berlin Convention Office [pdf, 180 kB, German], a 100% green electricity travel ticket.
- Offsetting your Flights: Carbon offsetting cannot solve the climate problem, as it has no effect on the actual emission occurred. When offsetting, CO2 emitted in one place is compensated by reducing CO2 emissions in another, e.g. in a project in a developing country. As the best solution does not yet exist, carbon offsetting remains a second-best solution. So, if air travel is unavoidable, consider offsetting your CO2 emissions. The non-profit providers Atmosfair Germany and My Climate can offset flights and support renewable energies.
- Hotels/Venues: When opting for hotels and venues, we make sure that they hold an environmentally-friendly certification. Furthermore, we only choose venues reachable by public transport. Here, you can find environmentally-friendly hotels near Ecologic Institute [pdf, 245 kB, English].
- Catering: We always offer vegetarian and organic catering to our clients as first options (with preference for regional and seasonal products). When realizable, we work with caterers who use saved food for cooking and reduce food waste. To reduce plastic waste and CO₂ we use filtered tap water where possible.
- Waste and food waste: We plan carefully to avoid catering leftovers and always provide doggy bags for the participants, so that food that can be taken along (e.g. fruits, finger food). We also pass on remaining food to social projects. In addition, we always aim to produce as little waste as possible at events and ensure that waste is separated.
- Flowers: We opt for sustainable and regional flowers for decoration.
- Sustainability in our office: We strive to not only engage in sustainable activities during large events, but also at smaller scales, directly in our offices. For details, please click here.