Green Events - Sustainability at Ecologic Institute
The Ecologic Institute has committed to the preservation and restoration of the global environment. As a sustainable and responsible institute and, in cooperation with our clients and partners, we seek to minimise the ecological impact of the events we manage and to organize our events in a sustainable and ecological way through a variety of actions.
To reach this target, we constantly make responsible choices about:
- Print: We limit the use of paper by encouraging the exchange of information in electronic formats. This includes invitations, event programmes, maps and other conference information. Registration forms for events are always available online. For remaining printing needs, we only use recycled FSC-paper.
- Travel: We try to organize the travel of our staff, speakers and participants as ecologically as possible (favouring train trips instead of flights, providing information about and fostering the use of public transport, using and suggesting environmentally friendly cabs). The participants of our Berlin-events have furthermore the option to travel with the "Deutsche-Bahn-Eventticket," of the Berlin Convention Office [pdf, 180 kB, German] a 100% green electricity travel ticket.
- Offsetting your Flights: Carbon offsetting cannot solve the climate problem, because it does not change the actual sources of CO2. When offsetting, CO2 emitted in one place is compensated by reducing CO2 emissions in another location, e.g. in a project in a developing country. As the best solution does not yet exist and, carbon offsetting remains a second-best solution. So, if air travel is unavoidable, consider offsetting your CO2 emissions. The non-profit providers Atmosfair Germany and My Climate can offset flights and support renewable energies.
- Hotels/Venues: Whenever possible, we opt for venues and hotels with environmentally-friendly certificates. Furthermore, we only choose venues reachable by public transport. Here you can find environmentally-friendly hotels near Ecologic Institute [pdf, 245 kB, English].
- Catering: We always offer vegetarian and organic catering to our clients as first options (whit preference of regional and seasonal products).
- Waste: We do our best to keep food waste atevents at the minimum level, and welcome food recycling when possible (i.e.: composting).
- Flowers: Whenever possible, we opt for sustainable and regional flowers for decoration.
- Sustainability in our Office: We strive to not only engage in sustainable activities during large events, but also at smaller scales, directly in our offices. For details, see here.