The New North: How European is the Arctic?
Hannah Strauss, visiting scholar at Ecologic Institute, together with other experts on the Arctic and H.E. Danish Ambassador Per Poulsen-Hansen, discussed Europe’s impact on and interest in a "New North". The panel discussion was preceded by a presentation of Matthias Hannemann’s recent book, "Der Neue Norden. Die Arktis und der Traum vom Aufbruch", and focused on various aspects related to the political and economic development of the Arctic region.
Hannah Strauss presented results from the recently published EU Arctic Footprint Assessment and Policy report, pointing out EU’s high share in pollution of the Arctic because of its vicinity, ocean as well as air currents. She further emphasized the importance of involving local, and especially marginalised indigenous communities in Arctic policy making.
- Overview of the Ecologic Institute Arctic Program
- Ecologic Institute Project: Environmental Security in the Arctic
- Ecologic Institute Project: Arctic Transform
- Project web site: Arctic Transform: Transatlantic Policy Options for Supporting Adaptation in the Marine Arctic with background, links and downloads
- Project web site: EU Arctic Footprint and Policy Assessment Project with background, links and downloads