Ecologic Newsletter No 13 - April 2004
- Ecologic joins the IUCN
- Business game on Emissons Trading
- German Ministry of the Environment publishes brochure on the Aarhus Convention
- Ecologic joins the UN initiative Global Compact
- Conference "Dialogue on the National Strategy for Sustainable Development": results now online
- Land Use Planning and Management at the Local Level - Workshop Summary
1. Ecologic joins the IUCN
As a new member of the World Conservation Union, Ecologic intends to make a specific contribution in the field of integration of nature conservation and environmental protection requirements into other fields of policy and law at international and European level.
2. Business game on Emissons Trading
The difficulties involved in implementing emissions trading became apparent to the participants in a business game that was held at the "Europa.kult" Conference of the Heinrich Böll Stiftung. Although the participants could not agree on a joint National Allocation Plan at the end of the day, they gave positive feedback about the Conference. "Never have I elaborated such a complex issue in such short time with so much fun!" one of them stated.
3. German Ministry of the Environment publishes brochure on the Aarhus Convention
The brochure introduces the Aarhus Convention and shows which rights to information, to participation, and to file suit citizens are entitled to in the area of the environment, and how they can exercise these rights.
4. Ecologic joins the UN initiative Global Compact
Ecologic will contribute with its projects and research to mainstreaming the Global Compact principles in business activities around the world and strengthens its existing support of UN goals. At the same time, Ecologic will critically evaluate the Global Compact initiative and analyse its impact on environmental policy and sustainable development.
5. Conference "Dialogue on the National Strategy for Sustainable Development": results now online
The German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, in cooperation with Ecologic and E-fect, held the conference "Dialogue on the National Strategy for Sustainable Development: How can we foster its environmental dimension?" on 18 and 19 March. About 120 people attended the conference. Participants included representatives from the government, businesses, NGOs and academia. The conference produced valuable ideas that will feed into the on-going process of reviewing the National Strategy for Sustainable Development. The results of the conference are now available online.
6. Land Use Planning and Management at the Local Level - Workshop Summary
The Workshop Summary provides an overview of the very complex issues presented at the Workshop on "Land Use Planning and Management at the Local Level". The emphasis of the summary is on the results of the working groups, which analysed current challenges regarding land use management, elaborated policy recommendations, and identified research needs.