Towards a Greener Retail Sector
This study is a survey of current practice and possible development of measures in the field of sustainable development regarding large retailers. The study also develops a methodology to measure sustainable development in the field of large retailers.
The objective of the study is two-fold:
- to desribe and assess the current environemntal performance of large retailers and
- to develop a methodology for measuring their performance over time.
The scope of the study is the retail sector in Europe, and their practices with regards to four areas:
- Promoting the purchase of green products;
- Encouraging measures to effectively green supply chains;
- Improving retailers' own environmental performance; and
- Better informing consumers.
The outcome of the project will be:
- Identification of retailers' green initiatives;
- Assessment of retailers' green practices;
- Development of a measurement methodology.