Ecologic Newsletter No 3 - June 2003
- Applying EU Environmental Legislation in the field of Marine Protection
- Ecologic co-authors Kiev report
- BREF Waste Treatment Industries
- Economic Assessment of Groundwater Protection
- Competition Rules in the Water Sector
- Ecofuturum Background Study now available in English
- Ecologic Brief on Participation of NGOs in International Environmental Governance
- Ecologic Brief on Trade and Sustainable Development
1. Applying EU Environmental Legislation in the field of Marine Protection
The international conference "Applying EU Environmental Legislation in the Field of Marine and Coastal Protection" took place on the Ionian Island of Zakynthos on 19-20 May 2003.
2. Ecologic co-authors Kiev report
In May 2003 the Kiev report "Europe's environment: The third assessment" was released in the run-up to the meeting of environment ministers from the wider European continent in Kiev, Ukraine, which was organised by the UN's Economic Commission for Europe (UN-ECE). Chapter 13 dealing with progress in managing the environment was drawn up with the joint help of Ecologic and IEEP London.
3. BREF Waste Treatment Industries
The first part of German comments regarding the BREF document on waste treatment industries was sent to Seville. Ecologic supports the German Federal Environmental Agency in this process. The next expert meeting is scheduled for the 25th July 2003 in Berlin.
4. Economic Assessment of Groundwater Protection
Ecologic published the final report on the economic assessment of groundwater protection. The study presents methodologies and estimates of the costs and benefits of groundwater protection. It supports the drafting process for the EU groundwater daughter directive.
5. Competition Rules in the Water Sector
The Study "The Application of the Competition Rules to the Water Sector in the European Community", carried out jointly by Ecologic and the Water Research centre (WRc) for the European Commission, was recently published. Ecologic presented the results on two major water conferences.
6. Ecofuturum Background Study now available in English
The Ecofuturum project's background study dealing with the European Convent on the future of Europe and the drafting of a European constitution is now available in English.
7. Ecologic Brief on Participation of NGOs in International Environmental Governance
The main conclusions and results of a study exploring functions, rules and practices of NGO participation in international environmental co-operation are presented in an Ecologic Brief.
8. Ecologic Brief on Trade and Sustainable Development
The results of the workshop entitled "The Architecture of the Global System of Governance of Trade and Sustainable Development" that took place on 9-10 December 2002 in Berlin have been published in an Ecologic Brief.