Event Series on the European Energy Transition
journalist briefings with Clean Energy Wire (CLEW)
In this project, Clean Energy Wire (CLEW) and Ecologic Institute organised a series of 10 online briefing events (webinars) to inform journalists about the key elements and topics of European energy and climate policy. In total, more than 130 journalists from 30 countries participated in the ten events, dissecting topics like the 2030 EU climate target, the UN climate change conference COP26 and the EU's carbon border levy plans. The attendees ranged from journalists representing smaller local publications to those from established media such as Bloomberg, NY Times, the Guardian, Euractiv and Die Welt.
The aim of the event series was to create a community of better-informed journalists engaged in covering the European energy transition. A wide range of webinar topics were covered. Each topic was selected for its importance and timeliness for policy developments in 2020 and 2021, including the European Green Deal, the US federal elections and the UN climate-change conference COP26. Each webinar featured high-level speakers and experts, who provided journalists with an overview of the key issues being discussed on an issue central to the European energy transition and efforts to address climate change. Expert speakers included senior staff of Ecologic Institute, who provided their insights regarding policy challenges and the finer points of the current political discussions. Clean Energy Wire hosted and moderated the events. Ecologic Institute carried out the event organisation, speaker recruitment, provided expert speakers and created the written background material for journalist attendees.
Webinars in the series
- 25 Sep 2020: Announcement – Disentangle the EU energy transition: Clean Energy Wire goes Europe
- 13 Oct 2020: Setting the bar for others to follow? – Talks on raising EU 2030 climate target enter crucial phase
- 17 Oct 2020: Deep dive: How green are the EU’s coronavirus recovery plans?
- 19 Nov 2020: The interplay between European and national energy and climate policies
- 24 Nov 2020: Deep dive: Making the most of Europe's renewables potential
- 01 Dec 2020: Carbon border tax: Will Europe build trade walls to save the climate?
- 08 Dec 2020: 2030 climate target – EU decision goes down to the wire
- 18 Jan 2021: Europe and the U.S. – new dream team for climate action or rivals on the road to net zero?
- 16 Feb 2021: All aboard for the green economy: Can Europe perform an energy transition that leaves no one behind?
- 11 Mar 2021: Feeding 450 million in a climate friendly way – How does the EU’s attempt to make farming sustainable affect its trading partners?
- 20 Apr 2021: Uniting the world to tackle climate change – UK, U.S. & EU on the road to COP26