Support to the Ad-hoc Task Groups on Hydromorphology and Article 4(7) of the WFD
In the latest Work Programme 2016-2018 of the Common Implementation Strategy of the Water Framework Directive (WFD), the Water Directors of European countries agreed specific Ad-hoc Task Groups (ATGs) should be set up on the following topics: (1) Best practice and guidance on dealing with hydromorphology and (2) Guidance on WFD Article 4(7) on exemptions for new modifications. Ecologic Institute and its partner Fresh Thoughts have been commissioned to provide to DG Environment of the European Commission support and advice on scientific, socio-economic and technical issues related to the activities of the ATGs on Article 4(7) Guidance and Hydromorphology.
The specific objectives of this project are to:
- Prepare and support a kick-off workshop on the Ad-hoc task Group on Article 4(7), including the preparation of a key issues paper and the collection of case studies.
- Prepare the first version of a guidance document on Article 4(7).
- Support the activities of the Ad-hoc Task Group on Hydromorphology relevant to the harmonisation of Good Ecological Potential (GEP). This will entail:
- the finalisation of a report on the comparison of mitigation measures for GEP definition,
- preparation and testing of case studiesfor a GEP intercomparison exercise and
- support to a GEP comparability assessment workshop in early 2017.
- Prepare and support a kick-off workshop of the ECOSTAT hydromorphology subgroup to discuss hydromorphological monitoring and assessment methods.