Framework Contract to Support the Development and Implementation of EU Freshwater Policies
The Water Framework Directive (WFD) required Member States to report their River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs) by March 2010. In November 2012, the European Commission published a report which included among other things a review of progress in the implementation of the Directive and a survey of the River Basin Management Plans, including suggestions for the improvement of future plans.
In addition, in November 2012 the European Commission published a Blueprint for Water which identified the future direction for EU Water Policy. The Blueprint built upon the results of a Fitness Check of EU Water Policy, an in-depth analysis of certain aspects of the RBMPs, and other technical studies.
As part of a pan-European consortium of 14 institutions in a core team led by WRc, Ecologic Institute supports the European Commission in the development and implementation of EU freshwater policies. The main objective is:
- To provide independent, impartial and punctual necessary work and advice on scientific, socio-economic and technical issues related to the issues dealt with within the Common Implementation Strategy (CIS) of the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and Floods Directive
- To provide technical assistance to the European Commission in the assessment and compliance checking of the implementation of the EU water legislation (WFD, Priority Substances Directive, Groundwater Directive and Floods Directive)
- To provide technical assistance to the European Commission in assessing inter-linkages between WFD implementation and other pieces of EU water legislation and how to better ensure mutual benefits of implementation and integration of water policy into other EU policies areas
- To provide technical assistance to the Commission in the development of the Water Information System for Europe
- To provide technical assistance to the European Commission in new policy developments and specific areas of study as a follow-up of the Blueprint