What are the Perks and Shortcomings of the Proposed EU Climate Law? – Expert talk on climate neutrality in the EU
- Berlin, Germany
On 4 March 2020 the European Commission published its proposal for a European climate law. A number of questions arise from the Commission proposal now presented:
- What steering effect can the long-term approach actually achieve?
- Will the climate protection law effectively close existing gaps in the EU climate policy processes?
- How does the new law relate to the existing framework with binding targets for Member States?
- To what extent can the law be effective in the short term?
- Is a rapid political agreement based on the proposal likely?
Together with national experts, we have further explored these questions. During the event, Matthias Duwe, Head of Climate at Ecologic Institute, gave an introduction to the EU background & experience with climate legislation and Dr. Nils Meyer-Ohlendorf, Head, International and European Governance Senior Fellow at Ecologic Institute, presented an assessment and evaluation of the Commission proposal.