Results of the Survey - Market Access, Costs and Trading Strategies
In this presentation Max Grünig, Senior Fellow at Ecologic Institute, presented and analyzed the main results of the summer 2013 survey of all German-operators with their acquisition strategies in the second and third trading period. He also gave an overview of the plant operators who participated in the survey. The presentation slides are available for download.
Max Grünig's presentation contained the following key results:
- The internal offsetting and the use of intermediaries were by far the most widely used acquisition channels for operators in the second trading period.
- In the second trading period operators have realized the largest part of the total purchase by using the OTC trading.
- For more than half of the operators there was no need for a EU allowance purchase in the second trading period.
- In the second trading period there was only for 13 percent of all operators a need for more than 100.000 tons.
- The chosen acquisition strategy was in the second trading period particularly dependent on the purchase volume and only subsequently by the company size.
- The number of companies, which generally see a need for a purchase in the third trading period, doubled.
- In the third trading period there will be shifts within the carbon market.