As part of a consortium led by WRc, Ecologic Institute provides technical assistance to the European Commission on the assessment of the Water Framework Directive and Floods Directive’s plans and implementation in the 28 EU Member States.
The work includes:
- Support in the development of the assessment methodology;
- Conducting the assessments to the agreed methodology; and
- Preparation of technical reports to present the results of the assessments.
The project is divided into three main tasks:
- Task 1 – Compliance assessment of the 2nd River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs)
- Task 2 – Compliance assessment of the 1st Flood Risk Management Plans (FRMPs)
- Task 3 – Assessment of existing coordination regarding water management and floods management in International River Basin Districts.
Ecologic Institute has the technical lead on task 1 on the compliance assessment of the 2nd RBMPs and leads the assessment of the topics "designation of heavily modified water bodies and definition of good ecological potential" and "measures for hydromorphological pressures".
The technical reports to be produced will be used by the Commission to prepare reports to the European Council of Ministers and European Parliament on the implementation of the two Directives. These reports will also form the initial basis for further analysis to support the review of the two Directives.