Sustainable Oceans: Reconciling Economic Use and Protection
The Dräger Foundation convenes a transatlantic conference series on "Sustainable Oceans: Reconciling Economic Use and Protection" under the High Patronage of Albert II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco. Building on the Ecologic Institute CALAMAR Dialogue on Cooperation Across the Atlantic for Marine Governance Integration, it aims to initiate a European Ocean Commission, and a joint EU-US strategy on ocean policies.
The series is conceived for three conferences in Hamburg (2011), New York City (2012), and Lisbon (2013). Ecologic Institute advises and supports the initiative in aspects of science and policy.
Details on the first conference are available from the Dräger Foundation website.
At the first conference, Sandra Cavalieri of Ecologic Institute moderated the panel on "Financing the Protection of the Oceans", featuring:
- Susan K. Avery of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution,
- Iris Menn of Greenpeace, and
- Hans J. Peters of George Mason University.
R. Andreas Kraemer of Ecologic Institute moderated the panel on "Transatlantic Cooperation in Ocean Governance", featuring:
- Laura Cantral of the Meridian Institute and Director of the US Joint Ocean Commission Initiative,
- Biliana Cicin-Sain of the University of Delaware, and the Global Oceans Forum,
- Paul Holthus of the World Oceans Council, and
- Tiago Pitta e Cunha, Counselor to the President of Portugal.
One panel at the first conference on "Arctic Challenges: International Cooperation in the use of Arctic Resources" built on the Ecologic Institute ARCTIC TRANSFORM Dialogue on Transatlantic Policy Options for Supporting Adaptation in the Marine Arctic.