European Union Action to Fight Environmental Crime (EFFACE): Case Studies on Environmental Crime
European Union Action to Fight Environmental Crime (EFFACE) 2012-2016: Case Studies on Environmental Crime.
EFFACE partners have compiled twelve case studies on different types of environmental crime. The purpose of conducting these case studies was to identify the mechanisms and impacts of different types of environmental crime within and outside of the European Union and possible counter-measures. The case studies are available for download.
The case studies look at causes and motivations to commit environmental crime, the stakeholders and actors and the possible social, economic and environmental impact of environmental crime for their respective study area and type of environmental crime. The case studies also investigate the effectiveness of existing laws, sanctions and prevention measures; on this basis, they outline policy implications and some lessons learned from that specific case for improving policy responses to environmental crime within the EU.
Christoph Stefes and Katherine Weingartner of Ecologic Institute have compiled a case study on "Environmental crime in Armenia: A case study on mining".
The following other case studies have been compiled as part of EFFACE by the various institution involved in EFFACE:
- Victims in the "Land of Fires": A case study on the consequences of burnt and buried waste in Campania, Italy
- Illegal shipment of e-waste from the EU: A case study on the illegal export of e-waste from the EU to China
- EUTR CITES and money laundering: A case study on the challenges to coordinated enforcement in the global forest products sector
- A Case Study on the EU's promotion of environmental protection through criminal law in Kosovo
- The Aznalcollar and Kolontar mining accidents: A case study on the criminal responsibility of operators and administrators
- The Illegal wildlife trade: A case study report on illegal wildlife trade in the United Kingdom, Norway, Colombia and Brazil
- Mining gold and mercury pollution in the Guiana Shield: A case study on the role of the EU in fighting environmental crime
- Can Cocaine Production in Colombia be linked to Environmental Crime?: A case study on the effect of EU legislation on the trade
- Environmental crime and corporate miscompliance: case study on the ILVA steel plant in Italy
- A case study on illegal localized pollution incidents in the EU
- A case study on illegal fishing and the role of rights-based fisheries management in improving compliance