Information Platform on River Restoration
This information platform provides information for potential actors of renaturation projects. The aim of river restoration is to return rivers and streams to their natural state and to improve their ecological status. Natural and semi-natural rivers and streams have many advantages, e.g:
- They increase the quality of life as landscape-forming elements in urban and rural areas.
- They reduce the risk of flooding for downstream users.
- They provide habitats for numerous plant and animal species.
- They support the degradation of environmentally harmful substances (e.g. waste water, fertilisers).
- They contribute to adaptation to global climate change.
The German information platform offers information in 25 articles on:
- Planning and implementing river restoration projects,
- Synergies of river restoration (e. g. nature conservation, flood protection, recreation, climate change adaptation)
- ten project examples across Germany where a wide variety of measures were implemented.
An explanatory film introduces the topic, ten river restoration projects are presented in short vides and photos. Four free infographics illustrate the topics of planning, financing, participation and selection of measures.