Arctic Summer College 2011
The Arctic Summer College 2011, hosted by Ecologic Institute, provides a platform for Arctic researchers to debate and develop ideas about a range of issues facing Arctic decision-makers, such as: Arctic economic, environmental and security policy; the impacts of large scale energy projects at the regional scale; and approaches to ecosystem-based management.
The 2011 Arctic Summer College included 13 researchers from Europe, Canada and the US who participated in bi-weekly seminars to discuss ongoing research and develop opportunities for future collaboration. Key issues being addressed include:
- Arctic governance (e.g. Arctic Council restructuring)
- Geopolitics – especially EU/Russia relations
- Security – military and environmental security
- Integrated ecosystem based management
- Indigenous peoples rights and natural resource development
- Environmental standards for shipping, resource extraction and tourism
The 2011 Arctic Summer College builds on the Ecologic Institute Arctic TRANSFORM Dialogue on Transatlantic Policy Options for Supporting Adaptation in the Marine Arctic and EU Arctic Footprint and Policy Assessment.